Austrian Bundesheer Badges of Rank 1923-1933
Following the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy in November 1918 and the creation of an independent Austrian Republic, the armed forces available to the new state were initially the Volkswehr which wore modified k.u.k. uniforms. With the formation of the Bundesheer in 1920 new insignia was introduced which basically took the form of cuff rings. This insignia was in turn replaced by an order dated the 11th of September 1923 which introduced insignia similar to that worn in Weimar Germany by the Reichsheer. This form of insignia would remain with slight variations until replaced yet again ten years later by the traditional badges of rank and uniform as worn by the former k.u.k. Army and k.k. Landwehr. Generals originally wore the double litzen collar patches with scarlet piping but these were replaced by patches modeled on the Prussian Alt-Larisch pattern on the 21st of December 1925. New ranks of Vizeleutnant (24th of September 1924), Fähnrich (14 August 1925) and Korporal on the 22nd of December 1927. The rank of Zugsführer adopted three chevrons and the Korporal that of two chevrons. The Fähnrich and Vizeleutnant had the same shoulder boards but the Fähnrich additionally wore a smooth matt collar button. In 1929 the rank of General was replaced by those of General der Infanterie and General der Artillerie.
Back to Badges and Uniforms