The continuing expansion of the LFT during the war not only brought about the need for flying personnel but also the provision of qualified ground crew. In order train a larger number of the required skilled technicians, like turners, welders, wing-covering fitters etc., the LF-Baujungenschule was created at the Fliegerarsenal, where in addition to practical training, theoretical instruction also took place. The particular decree of the 19th of August 1916 (published on the 26th of August) invited parents to enroll their interested boys, with a minimum of 14 years and a maximum 17 years years of age, who were healthy and of previous good conduct. So that the boys or better their legal guardian were encouraged to have them enrolled, successful graduates would in addition to their normal compulsory military service for a minimum of 3 years service with the LFT, be assigned to the Fliegerarsenal as NCOs or similar LFT units and with further qualification would be appointed as a Werkmeister or technical official of the LFT.
Before the first course started the particular dress regulations for the pupils was published on the 14th of September 1917. They were to be dressed like common soldiers with field grey uniforms: standard field cap, jacket and greatcoat without shoulder-straps or cords, trousers with puttees, no side arms were introduced. The facing color was to be black and the usual balloon symbol should be worn on the collar. To differentiate between these pupils and common soldiers of the aviation-troops a 6 cm wide chevron of yellow 1 cm wide silk lace (similar to the NCOs collar-lace) was prescribed to be worn on the upper left sleeve of the jacket and the greatcoat. Students who displayed a good effort were to wear two such chevrons and those who displayed excellence three - as shown on the drawings below.
Back to the k.u.k. Luftfahrtruppe